Saturday, October 1, 2011

Word Work

In any elementary grade, word work is crucial to understanding spelling patterns in reading and writing.  Spelling City is more than just a spelling helper.  It allows teachers to create lists of spelling words, word families, vocabulary words, sight words(for free!) .  From there, students can practice the words in a traditional spelling test review format, take a spelling test (which is graded and gives the user the option of printing results), or play games to work with the words.  Children can choose from writing sentences, Hang Mouse, word searches, unscramble, find the missing letter, audio word match, and more! 
Screenshot of Audio Word Match (a sight word list)
In first grade, I would add Spelling City to my literacy centers throughout the week.  Children could choose from any game they wanted to play.  On Fridays, we would use the laptops or visit the computer lab to take the test.  In about 15 minutes, I had all of the tests completed, graded, and printed.  In Kindergarten, I use it mostly for sight word games and word families.  Audio Word Match is my favorite for the younger set because each time a player clicks on a tile, the word is spoken clearly.  The reinforcement leaves out the guesswork of sight words, and encourages automatic recognition.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way to get students to learn their spelling words and reinforce reading. What a great time saver for you on Fridays. I have said it before I wish you had been my daughter’s kindergarten teacher. Your students are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Spelling City and so do my students! The varying activites that teach students their spelling words are so engaging! I just think it is a great, non-traditional approach to teaching spelling and it truly works!

    To tell you a little bit more about Destination Success...I do not think it will replace other direct-instruction programs, but like you said it would definitely be great reinforcement or challenging for students on varying levels. Check it out...you should have it on your Desktop...if not, ask your special education teacher about how to access it!

    ReplyDelete