Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Phonemic Awareness Resources for K-2

Parents and teachers wants reliable games for students to practice reinforcing skills they are learning in the classroom. For my Kindergarten class, I want them to have daily, independent practice.   Phonemic awareness skills are strong indicators of how well children develop reading skills.  The Internet has over a million "educational" gaming sites, but only some live up to the expectations of being rigorous and relevant.  At Professor Garfield, students have six choices for reinforcing phonemic awareness skills such as rhyming and phoneme manipulation. Each game reteaches the skill using examples and non-examples and offers immediate feedback. 

2 comments:

  1. Johnna, this site is lots of fun. I love the look of the site and the way students are able to choose one of six ways to learn. This site has been added to my class website and also to my Diigo. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnna, I used this site this evening with my son, who is four, and a pre-schooler. We just looked at the "Meet the Gang" and rhyming words. He did fairly well and enjoyed trying to match the words with objects in the barn that rhymed. Awesome resource, I will be sure to use with my son as he goes into Kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete